You are here

Fakenham Academy v North Walsham

Fakenham set off to North Walsham where we lost 8-2 in the previous year with our heads down thinking the same result was going to happen. We walked out onto the pitch in our nice new bright green kits raring to go and get something out of the match. Once the game kicked off it was the best we'd ever played, we played as a team passing it around their team. About 5 or 10 minutes into the game, the game was very even as both teams had lots of chances, but we were the first team to take ours after Stephen Penny put us 1-0 up by finding the top corner just outside the 6 yard box coming from a great ball in by Brandon Ballett.

North Walsham very quickly equalised then we had an injury meaning Ben Wood come on. North Walsham scored another one quite quickly after their first one making the score 2-1 to them. Then out of the blue a great ball was put over from midfield to Scott Smerdon who showed great determination to get on the end of it (even if he did get clattered by their keeper) the ball then fell to the substitute Ben Wood who put it into an empty net to make it 2-2. We went into halftime with our heads held high after playing the best we'd ever played together and the score being 2-2.

We made a couple of changes at half time with Harley Shickle coming on up front, Scott going to right midfield and Brandon coming into centre midfield and Stephen Penny going back on the left. The second half kicked off really well for us, winning lots of free kicks and things around the halfway line which didn't really go to plan but still they were still chances. Then out of nowhere North Walsham had an attack and scored to put them 3-2 up but this didn't stop us. Charlie Potter and James Lucking came on in left back and right back. A through ball coming from the midfield was then played through to Stephen Penny and he scored to make it 3-3.

Both teams were going at it to get the winner but with about 15 minutes to go the ball was bouncing in and around the halfway like the header was won by Scott and it went to Jay Myhill who hit it on the half volley from 35 yards it went over the keeper hit the crossbar and bounced over the line, the score is now 4-3 to Fakenham with 15 minutes left and Jay Myhill drops deeper into centre defensive midfield and we play really defensive to hold out and get the three points. We held out and got the three points after losing 2 years before that to the exact same team 8-2. Fakenham played really well and should be proud of how they played!